Basic Prep Work
The Viking Prep Work is publicly available (you can start it
here) and contains several mini-courses which get you up to speed on the fundamentals of web development and what life is like for a developer.
- • Web Development Basics
- • Web Design Basics
- • Software Engineering Basics
- • Git Calisthenics
- • UX Teardowns
- • Agile Stories for an E-Commerce App
Advanced Prep Work
websites with Bootstrap.
These challenging courses are designed to provide you with the strong fundamentals you need to get started with our advanced core curriculum.
- • How the program will work
- • Markup with HTML, CSS, Bootstrap and SASS
- • Getting Hired (Part I)
- • Rebuilding Facebook
- • The Danebook Frontend
- • The Spotify Music Player
- • Tower of Hanoi
Since data is the foundation of every major web application, we take a data-first approach to teaching. You start by studying data modeling and theory before diving into SQL and NoSQL databases.
You will work with data sets both large and small in your quest to master the challenges of structuring, organizing and querying with today's modern database tools
- • Database Theory
- • Data Modeling
- • SQL
- • NoSQL
- • Real world data modeling
- • The SQL calisthenics
- • NoSQL calisthenics
- • NodeJS
- • Express
- • Authentication and Security
- • File Uploads and Email
- • A Github commit feed
- • A dynamic realtime chat system
- • An affiliate referral ponzi scheme
- • A full-featured E-Commerce app
The Front End
and lightning fast single-page applications.
- • The DOM / BOM Model
- • Frontend Data Modeling
- • Single Page Apps with React/Redux
- • Snake
- • The AJAX Puppy Shelter
- • Fideligard Stock Portfolio Simulator
- • Full Stack Project Manager
You finally have what it takes to really impress employers by building something ambitious and complex, using all you've learned so far. This is your chance to apply these skills in the framework of working on a real engineering team.
For these projects, all students are required to work in groups (regardless of program). You will start by putting on your Product Manager hat and pitch your idea, produce mockups and break down user stories. You will then transition back into
"engineering mode" and do poker planning, prioritize your backlog and finally plan out two full sprints.
From there, you will have regular team SCRUM meetings and code reviews. This culminates in a demo presented to your "client", the whole Viking community.
- • Agile story writing
- • Sprint planning
- • Collaborating on your project
- • Marketing your project effectively
- • The Final Project
- • Your Final Project Demo
Hiring + Algorithms
Starting day 1, we'll show you how to hustle onto the radar of companies and to stand out despite an unconventional resume.
Once you’re ready, we’ll dive deep into Data Structures and Algorithms, providing you with the understanding you need to make good engineering decisions and to pass technical interviews.
Finally, you'll learn how to present well during your interviews and, with an offer in hand, how to maximize your outcome and compensation. We'll present you with study materials, interview scripts and take-home projects based on the actual
experiences of our alumni.
- • The Personal Narrative
- • Networking for Engineers
- • Nailing the Interview
- • Core Data Structures
- • Search and Sorting Algorithms
- • Salary Negotiation
- • The Three Job Challenge
- • The DOM Parser Project
- • Algorithmic problems and take-home projects
- • Interview Practice Scripts